Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Big Easy

We stayed in the French Quarter of New Orleans, and never actually went to the new downtown. However, that is okay because the French Quarter is very fascinating. There is some awesome architecture and parts of Disneyland actually look like New Orleans so it made me excited for our last leg of the trip. I loved the cool iron balconies.
We walked down Bourbon street.
Even with Lenna! It was the middle of the day. We never walked down Bourbon street at night.

Lenna had a great time cruising in her stroller. She really loved the people watching.You can take carriage rides through the French Quarter. It made me think of Central Park.

Lenna yearned for time to just roam. Any time she could have crawling around she took. Sadly she was strapped into a high chair or a stroller for most of the time in New Orleans.
One night (which also happened to be the coldest night) we went on the Haunted Tour.
It started right across from what I am told is a famous bar called Pat O'Briens. Since we arrived on St. Patrick's Day we got green derby hats from this bar to celebrate the holiday. All the bars were giving out random free green things to celebrate the holiday.
Here is our Haunted Tour Guide. He was an interesting character.
Jared and Lenna by one of the oldest buildings in New Orleans. There were 2 really big fires and from those fires only 3 original buildings remain.
This is the Lalaurie House. One of the best ghost stories in the town. Well best isn't the best word. It is actually a very very sad story of a crazy doctor who was more interested in the art of medicine then in healing people. He did very cruel things to his slaves which is why this home is said to be haunted. It is currently for sale so if any one wants to live in a haunted mansion here is your chance. It is also said the haunted mansion in Disneyland is modeled similar to this home.
While in New Orleans I really wanted to have a beignet. So we headed to Cafe Du Monde and I got my first experience with this yummy treat.
Lenna enjoyed the adventure.And I can never complain about fat and powdered sugar! Yum Yum!We also saw the Mississippi river.
Checked out a few levees you can see one behind me.
Strolled around the French Quarter seeing cool street signs like 'Pirates Alley'
Went on a steam boat down the Mississippi.
We stopped at the Battle of New Orleans from the war of 1812.
We ate so much good food. Lenna really enjoyed eating at K Paul's. She especially loved the waitress telling her she looked like she fell right out of the cabbage patch, and REALLY loved it when Grandpa Stud shared some of his dessert with her.
Other than it being cold it was super fun to explore this very unique city.

To answer the reclining question. I am not a recliner. I just fall asleep or read sitting straight up. My head does fly forward occasionally because of it though.

Next question I have been thinking is very unrelated to travel, but I like to hear my friends' opinions. It is about gifts. Every family does gifts differently I know this. But take this case study let's say party A always sends gifts to party B, but party B never sends gifts to party A. Would you keep sending gifts because you like it, stop sending gifts because you want things in return, stop sending gifts because maybe you are offending Party B by sending too much, or you own answer here?

Jared is kindly enough agreed to guest post about Omaha. Look for that coming soon, or maybe you will get a snippet of Easter first =)

3 comments:

The Thackers said...

Looks like fun! Cute pictures!

Laura and crew said...

I say if party A wants to send gifts to Party B, send 'em. It can never hurt to do a good deed. If A is concerned it might be offensive to B I'd just ask. I also must say when you said your tour guide was an interesting character I thought you meant Jared. Ooops. :O) Loving all the iron fronts on the houses/shops...super cool.

Lindsey H. said...

Oh you're right - it does look like the New Orleans part of Disneyland. I'll have to go someday!