Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sponge Caking Time

I love to make my Great Grandma Mary's Sponge Cake. It is one of the very few none chocolate desserts that I love. It brings fond memories of my mom making this dessert for me and my siblings when I was young, and being so excited to eat it. The downfall of making G.G.Mary's sponge cake by yourself is that is requires two pretty tedious separate bowl mixing steps. I am lazy. Very very lazy. So while my main mixer the Red Bullet was going.
I found some stuff to place my hand mixer on so that it could go as well without me holding it. Yep I am way too lazy to hold a mixer for 10 minutes just so the egg whites can become fluffy and stiff. Man my life is easy if I am complaining about holding a mixer!Anyway one of the steps calls for you to cool it on a pop bottle. Pop bottles use to be glass they are now plastic, so I used the next best thing I could think of, a baby food jar. Worked like a charm.
The cake held to the top of the pan perfectly.
I used a knife and it fell perfectly to the plate.
I however sadly enough was running out of powdered sugar so the glaze is a little skimpy. Super sad. But that is okay it still turned out great.
Other than baking Lenna and I went to story time yesterday. She even got a free board book for having been read to for 20 days for 20 minutes.
She is starting to low ride on a few of her clothes as she thins down from all her running around.
But mostly she has had this face. She came down with a fever yesterday afternoon and it hasn't gone down. We headed to the doctor today and she said it is probably Roseola. So for the next few days I get to enjoy the fact that Lenna wants nothing to do but curl up next to me and cuddle with me for hours on end. It took me 14 months and her having a fever to finally get a cuddly babe. I do however hope she feels better soon.
Oh the other random fact of the day. I was reading the course catalog for a local community college and a course they offer, I kid you not, is "Dark and Stormy Nights 1: Introduction to Paranormal Investigation." Wow I can't figure out who would pay 80 bucks for this class but obviously someone because it is offered as a class.

My shopping brag for the week: actually I have two not just one. We couldn't decide on dinner Saturday night and we happened to get some Safeway coupons that same day for some free items. So we went to Safeway and got pasta, pasta sauce, sourdough bread, and chocolate cheerios and paid a total of 53 cents (94%) savings. We had gone earlier that day to do normal grocery shopping so I can't say I always have super great shopping deals. The other awesome deal was I went to Albertsons and got free Tabasco sauce, 2 Free 3 packs of apple sauce juice boxes, and a box of Sundae Cones which I paid 50 cents for. Again another 94% savings! Yay for saving money!

With that Happy May the 4th be with you day aka Star Wars day!

6 comments:

Laura and crew said...

Mmmm....your sponge cake was super yummmy. I think I'll have to keep my eye out for a tube pan so I can make it in the summer time and cover it with strawberries. I'm sorry Lenna is sick and having sad faces. Hopefully she'll perk up quick and you can get back to chasing her all over. :O)

Anonymous said...

That sponge cake looks delicious. If you are lazy then I am super lazy because I probably wouldn't have even baked the cake. :) Sorry to hear about Lenna's fever hopefully it goes away soon, but in the meantime enjoy the snuggling. I hope my baby is snuggly!!

Lindsey H. said...

I didn't know sponge cake was so work intensive - I've never made it before! Hope Lenna feels better soon...

Mandy said...

I remember eating Grandma's sponge cake too! I've never made it but I think I'm going to now after seeing how yummy it looks in the picture. Your little girl is adorable! Hope your family's all doing well.

Williams Family said...

GG Mary's sponge cake was divine! And I am glad Lenna is feeling better. It's so sad when they are sick.

The Mighty Quinns said...

I loved Grandma's sponge cake too! It reminds me of spring and her family Easter party/hunt.