Monday, January 4, 2010

The New Year Thoughts

Wow I haven't posted for almost a week! That is a long time for me. I even neglected Lenna's daily blog for 3 days! I feel like a slacker, but it was a good break! Now it is time to get back into the normal swing of things.

We had a great relaxing New Years break. I love the holidays because people get time off of work and there is something magical about this time of year. Plus it was fabulous having 2 four day weekends right in a row with Jared. But more importantly Lenna loved having the extra time to spend with her daddy! She is a daddy's girl through and through. She gets so very excited to see him it melts my heart.
I love Lenna too! We had a fun weekend just hanging out with the 3 of us! We had lots of good quality family time.Many people love the start of a new year because it seems like a good time to refresh or do resolutions, but it is just a depressing time of year for me in all honesty. Don't worry I am going to tell you why, you don't even have to ask. The few reasons why the new year is depressing to me is that at least at Boeing we had 7 paid work days off right in a row (that is almost 2 weeks straight from being away from work). The time between Thanksgiving and Christmas hardly anything got down at work because we were all anxiously anticipating our paid time off! However, when that time off comes to an end (at the new year) you gotta go back to work and get things done you were procrastinating in doing. Plus there was no paid holidays till the end of May to add to the heartache of all the deadlines approaching. Hence the new year was awful because it was the longest time with no paid holidays if you wanted time off you had to take vacation. Sad, sad times. Well that one doesn't apply anymore because I don't work nor do I have vacation time, but it is sad that Jared has no paid holidays till May.

Anyway next reason is resolutions. I am not against people making resolutions I just find this tradition kind of silly. I would say at least 75% of people who make resolutions never keep them. I was talking to some friends yesterday about how the gym gets so busy during the first two weeks of January. When I was growing up I would tend to avoid the gym the first 2 weeks of January then start back up with my normal routine after that to avoid the crowd. I don't mind people wanting to get in shape I just don't like an over crowded gym. Speaking of gyms we went running on Saturday around Greenlake and there were so many people with their dogs. It was nuts trying not to get taken down with a leash. But to my friends who have made resolutions I have enjoyed reading them, and I wish you the best of luck in accomplishing them. I on the other hand am going to sit on the couch and play the Wii with no remorse for not having any resolutions!

Another reason I don't like the new year is I have to take down all my decorations. It makes my house feel bare. However, this year we loved having a built in play pen with the couches that after taking the tree down we just moved Lenna's toys to that corner. Now I have a semi child proof area and don't have to worry too much about Lenna eating random things off the floor and getting into whatever she can find; this set up also allows me to set her down and do something. She seems to like the space and she knows that her super awesome toys can be found in the living room.Okay that is all I have to rant about the new year. But I do hope everyone will have a better 2010 then 2009.

I have been working on painting some more trim. I only have like 1/2 a wall to go! Woot for being closer to finishing up the require painting! I also took Lenna and Jared shopping a lot during the weekend, and I put a soft back onto a cross stitch quilt Nana Diane made for Lenna for Christmas. This way the blanket it is soft and cozy to snuggle up to, and I can more quickly tell which side is the front or back. The only other thing we really have been doing is play this game!I love playing Mario Brothers. Seriously one of my favorite games ever! Well it is a rainy Monday up here in Seattle so I should probably get to doing laundry and other normal chores I have put off because of the holidays! Happy 2010 my friends!

5 comments:

Z said...

We just beat Super Mario on Sunday. It's a pretty awesome game, although Sam has told me a bunch of times I'm not good at it. Oh well.

What's the daily blog?

Lindsey H. said...

I've heard about the Mario games from a lot of people - sounds fun! You're so cute not liking new year's resolutions. I love how you shun conventional things like that every now and then! :)

Anonymous said...

I don't usually make resolutions either. I just make goals as they come up through the year.

Laura and crew said...

I have also opted to forgo making New Years resolutions this year because come March I generally forget what they are. However, I'm currently thinking I may reward myself with a Wii if I can shrink back to normal size within a specified time. Then we could have Mario Brothers wars. :O) P.S. I like Lenna's blankie.

Missy said...

Oh your blog is so cute, and your little girl is adorable!!